Sunday, 22 May 2011

Earning Money While you Travel

Hypothetical situation.  You saved up that $2600 for a 15-day trip through SE Asia.  While backpacking in Indonesia, you realize you'd like to extend your trip...or maybe quit your 9-5 and relocate to SE Asia permanently (it's been known to happen!).  Either way, you're going to need more dough, and pronto.

How to earn money while you travel?

Turns out you don't need a degree in astrophysics to land a job overseas. (On the flip side, you may not need to shovel manure, milk cows, or peel potatoes, either.)

Lucky for us, English is the international language of commerce.  People all over the world are clambering to learn English and would welcome you as their instructor.  Support yourself while you travel by teaching English.

Some terminology:  

1.)  ESL :  English as a second language.
2.)  EFL :  English as a foreign language.
3.)  TEFL :  Teaching English as a Foreign Language.  
4.)  TESOL :  Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.  

In many places, you can teach English without any certifications.  (A girl I met in Istanbul was teaching English for $25/hour to several clients she met over Craigslist.  She did not have any TEFL/TESOL certifications but was a recent college grad.)  However, English-teaching certifications may help you get your foot in the door, especially if you want to teach at a school.

Examples of TEFL and/or TESOL certifications:

1.)  CELTA (Certificate in English Language Training to Adults).  This certificate is affiliated with the University of Cambridge and is internationally recognized.

2.)  TEFL.  If you google "TEFL" you will get millions of results.  Some TEFL courses are offered online. Others require classroom time.  I would look for the latter.  Diploma mill certifications are generally a waste of time and money, IMHO.

If I've piqued your curiousity, then Dave's ESL Cafe is a great source to help you get started teaching English overseas.

No comments:

Post a Comment