Tuesday 14 June 2011

Marrakech, Morocco

The trouble of getting to Marrakech, Morocco was worth it.  I fell in love with everything about this city.  For starters, the food:







If you are in Marrakech, visit the Djamma El Fna square at night.  The square is bustling at all times of the day, but it becomes a literal circus after the sun goes down.

There are snake charmers, there are monkeys, there are lanterns.  There are people playing sports.  There are sing-a-longs.  A slew of vendors set up food tents in the square at dusk, and the smoke from kebabs and other Moroccan delicacies drifts into the night air.

It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen in my life.  Here are some pictures from one night in the Djamma El Fna:

It is nearing dusk in the Djamma El Fna.  A mosque is visible in the background.

Nearby, a snake charmer is setting up shop.

I observe my first "sing-a-long."

The men in this circle are playing a game reminiscent of bowling.

Food vendors set up special stalls for dinner and smoke from grilling fills the air.

 A Muslim woman sells balloons to children.

These men will sell you a cup of fresh squeezed orange juice for 10 dirham.

Did you play the Gone Fishing game at carnivals as a kids?  I did. 

Another vendor is selling dates.

I've developed a date obsession.

Lots of night owls in Marrakech.

After a night in the square, I walked back through the souks (Arab marketplace or bazaar) to my hostel.  This was the same road where I met Dumbass.

 


 My hostel.  This is what 17 Euros per night can buy you in Marrakech.

I also took a day trip to the countyside.  Here are some pictures:

Traditional Berber (indigenous people of north Africa) home. 

A sheep peaking it's head around a corner of the house.

Looks like a bedroom.

A hamam, or steam bath, in the house.

The lady of the house served us traditional mint tea.

There was also a sweet waterfall outside of town.



My Rough Guides book described a trip to Morocco as "intense and challenging" and parts of it was.  But it was also incredibly eye-opening and loads of fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment